Sunday, June 6, 2010

Venti Dos does it all...

... as 28 Days to the Center of Sergio continues, today marks 22 days until my feet touch American soil; however, tonights blog takes an international perspective on a number that seemingly does it all. As you know, or don't, I am a huge sports fan, just something about sports has captured my attention from a young age. Not just football, but everything, baseball, soccer, volleyball, rugby, hockey, anything, I think it is more the thrill of the competition that captivates me. Regardless the sport, I am typically open in the teams I root for, which is a good thing in my eyes; however, there are certain teams that I prefer over any others in the world. But what I truly admire about sports are the players that set themselves aside from the others, those that transcend the average, go beyond what is expect, and leave their mark on the game not for what they have said, but what they have done.

So number 22, where do I begin, so many players have worn it, great ones. My fraternity brother, Emmitt Smith, the NFL's all time leading rusher wore it. Last years Heisman Trophy winner Mark Ingram wore, making him the only player from the University of Alabama to ever win it, despite their storied tradition. One of the best soccer players in the world, Kaka, wore it at AC Milan, winning the FIFA Player of the Year and Champions League before his move to Real Madrid. Gael Clichy, arguably one of the best back line players in soccer not named Dani Alves wears it for Arsenal. Diego Milito of Inter Milan, who scored Milans 4 final decisive goals of the season that won the the Italian Cup, Italian League, and Champions League Final trophies happily puts it on his back as well. Look at Tracey Porter, CB of the New Orleans Saints, he intercepted Peyton Manning for a TD to seal their Super Bowl victory last season, he rocks 22 as well.

So as you can see, 22 in sports, it just fits great players. But the most important 22 to me goes to a player that embodies everything my career in sports has been. A player who has put aside his need for glory, put aside the fame, put aside his own best interest for the betterment of his team. A team that mind you, is my favorite team on the face of the earth regardless of sport. This team goes beyond my favorite Cincinnati Bengals, Lakers, Ducks, or any other team I root for. The team is Manchester United, the most glorious team in all of England, maybe the world, in terms of players, revenue, championships, and stature. The only other teams that rival them are maybe Real Madrid, FB Barca, Inter, the Lakers, Celtics, maybe the Yankees, but in terms of glory and overall success, no one competes. Their 18 league titles, 11 FA Cups, 4 League Cups, and 3 Champions League titles puts them on the pedestal of success. Since the days of Rudd, Beckham, the younger Scholes and Giggs, Robson, Cantona, Keane, and Charlton, I have been a Red Devils fan. But despite the big names, like Beckham and Ronaldo that have graced the pitch at Old Trafford, one player remains my favorite regardless of time. As I stated before, this player embodies everything I believe my sports career has been, thus him earning my label as one of my favorite Man U players of all time. John O'Shea, currently still on squad and a regular for the boys in red. O'Shea is the only Manchester player to have ever played all 11 positions, yes even keeper. He has won every title that a player can win, from Champions League to FA Cup, O'Shea has done it all, literally. And what more fitting for a player that wears number 22. 22, a number wore by those that exceed expectation and truly make a difference on the game.

0 comments:

Post a Comment