Friday, June 4, 2010

Another X on the Calendar, 25 more to go...

... today went by rather quickly, considering that I did not go to sleep until 10am, sleeping through the day makes it go that much faster. Woke up refreshed and rested, then headed to practice to get the blood flowing and build up a little sweat. Before I knew it, crossed off another day in June, now only 25 left! So todays theme revolves around the significance of the number 25 on my life. As you have read the past couple blogs, they are aimed at providing you some insight to what goes on in me cabeza. For some that know me that may very well be a little scary to know what goes on up there, but don't worry! I promise to leave all the dirty thoughts at the door, or in this case off the keyboard. So with that said, 28 Days to the Center of Sergio presents, Numero Venti Cinco.

Looking back many would assume that I would go in depth about my first season at Nevada, were I wore the number 25. While I would certainly have a lot to say in that regards, it is a point in my life I rather not talk about that at this point. Instead, I rewind the hands of time to a point in my life where all the worries seemed to slip away with each minute.

I was 17, wait, that is not 25 Sergio, I know, I know, so let me build into it. Think of the build up as the foundation so bear with me. So like I was saying, oh yes, at 17, I did something unlike myself, I signed up for mens volleyball. Yeah, I know, football player, what are you doing jumping around a net spiking volleyballs? Well looking back, I really don't know why, I think it was because it would allow me to miss most, if not every, last period class for the remainder of my senior year at St. Paul. So when I figured that out, I was sold! As time progressed, not to brag, I really was good at it, but unlike football this just came natural. Playing the game brought me some sort of inner happiness I have not found in sports since. It was a once in a lifetime experience that I would never forget. All I knew was that I was fortunate to have two really great coaches at the time that really made me fall in love with the game. Plus the fact we only had 6 total players, built for some interesting matches. So on our team, versatility was key to every player and our success.

While we did not have much success, in terms of winning, I enjoyed every second that I played during that senior season, and my only season at that. I would eventually go onto earning almost every accolade at Outside Hitter from All League and CIF to Team MVP. But none of that mattered to me. I loved the time I spent that season with my other 5 teammates. We weren't the best team, the biggest, the tallest, or the one with the best techniques but what we did have was fun. Win or lose, we did it with a smile. Every match brought me joy, it just felt good, it must have, one game we all decided to rock the high socks and compression shorts, still do not know what were thinking, but that is what I am getting at. We did not think about what people though of us, we just played, and we loved it. We knew in most scenarios we would not win, lets face it, we had 6 guys. But we knew we had a minimum of 3 sets each game to just go out and have a good time. 3 sets, for 3 sets we forgot what problems we had, and if we were the first to 25 then hey it was a really good set. Sets of 25, those were good times.

0 comments:

Post a Comment