Monday, January 11, 2010

Last hours in the US...

Its about 2am here in the US and I am sitting here just looking back at how this past year has just unfolded. This time last year I would have never contemplated, let alone dream about, what is practically hours away. For many of those that do not know me, had I even lived past the 1st of this past year it would have been considered a success. Life had beaten me down, I had dug myself in a hole that seemed bottomless. Depression had gotten the better of me, I let what people what me to be judge the way I viewed the world. I was living a life to please others rather than pleasing myself. With the support of my family and the few friends that stood by me through it all, I was able to over come what seemed impossible to me at the time.

About 5 months ago now, Shane Jackson, a man who I consider to be a good friend of mine, was one of the few who never seemed to let me give up my dreams. He told me about the opportunities that were available over seas to play football. At the time, I said to myself, who would take a man like me? One who barely out of rehab and therapy less than 6 months prior. Well, I'm glad I followed his advice. He re inspired me to follow my dreams and reignited the desire I had not had since playing together at Pasadena CC, before my commitment to the University of Nevada, Reno. With the help of friends and family, and the wonderous support of my fraternity brother of the Almighty Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, INCORPORATED, helped me begin to turn the pages of what seemed to be a 4 year chapter of my life filled with false aspirations, dreams, and sour endings. Shane and former junior college coach Angelo Jackson set my aim at making a full return to the game and thus the journey began.

By October I was already back up to 220 pounds, running, moving, and quicker than I had been since our ol Pasadena days. Then after months of calls, emails, and communications, Badalona Dracs, out of Barcelona, Spain, gave me the chance I had been working for.

No one truly knows my capabilities, those that I played with in JC know, but those at Nevada do not. After thinking about it I came to this conclusion, Sergio Villasenor never really attended the University of Nevada, Reno, nor played for its football team. Only a guy that looked liked me did. One person I played with said it best, "your career stopped the day you signed with Nevada, and suddenly restarted the day that you left". I could not have said it any better.

So get ready, because Imported Goods is going to take over not only Spain, but Europe. 2010, Badalona Dracs, spanish and euro bowl champions? Wait and see.....

- Sergio Villasenor

0 comments:

Post a Comment