Sunday, May 30, 2010

Italia, one and oooooooooo...


... well my first game on Italian soil is in the books. Lions came into the game versus Reggio Hogs needing a win to solidify a playoff spot and we got just that. There are many saying in sports but none fits better than "it was ugly, but a win is a win". The scoreline, 27-26, pretty much speaks for how close, or wild for that matter, the game really was. We were able to pull it off with 3 seconds left in the partido; however, but what is even more dramatic is the successful 2 point conversion we got at the end to avoid overtime. All in all, what a great game. I was brought here to Bergamo to help stop the run, and going against one of the premier running teams in all of Italy, the Hogs, the task of providing run support was going to be tested from the first game. Hogs averaged over 375 yards on the ground coming into Bergamo last weekend. They left with only 125 total running yards, one of the lowest totals for Hogs in over three years. Now, we look to the IFL playoffs, where we will face either Parma Panthers, Catania Elephants, or Bolzano Giants. It is a two game season now, and all the teams in the playoffs are 0-0. We have a really good team here in Bergamo and from the looks of things, the team is getting back to 100% coming off some injuries. So that is certainly a plus!

Rumors of Departure
Okay, so there has been a lot of mumbling as to why I left Badalona. And rightfully so. So I feel it is best to clear the air so there is no confusion. I left Dracs because the financial side of football was just not matching up. When I agreed to play for Dracs in August of last year, I agreed to be paid on the 1st of each month. And where I come from, a contract is a contract. You abide by it. Never once, while in Badalona, was that agreed upon payment schedule met. I have finances back in the United States that I arranged to be paid around what Dracs had offered me. When I arrived in Badalona I was then notified that a different payment schedule would be needed. So from the beginning the payment/financial terms of my contract were already not met. I am not pointing these things out to down play the Dracs organization. I am simply stating the facts of the matter at hand. Dracs have a first class organization, in terms of the family approach that they give. The experience in Badalona was one that I will never forget. Nordi, Jordi, Nestor, Pho, Ice, and all of the guys there are truly a great group of men. Men who I was fortunate enough to come across and met. But there is also other financial needs that must be met in order to play football.

Another BBQ
So this week, and next, was a bye leading into the start of the IFL playoffs here in Bergamo. I can say this. These Italians sure do know how to BBQ. They load up on everything, just a real great time from all angles. The guys are great, popping brews and really creating an atmosphere that is welcoming and inviting to me. I really appreciate how all of the guys have treated me because in all honesty I really did not know how I would be welcomed. It was a late season transfer and all. But I can say this, each teammate and now friend I have met here in Bergamo through the Lions is first class. Whether it is cracking jokes about the Lakers and Celtics or just having a good time in each other company. This place is truly remarkable and I am fortunate that Mario and Stefano gave me the chance to play here in Italia.

Stateside in a Month
Yes I know, right around the corner!!! June 28th at 8pm, I will be arriving at LAX, and boy do I have a list of things that I am going to do when I get back. Being in Europe has been extraordinary. I have had the opportunity to live in cities such as Milan, Italy, and Barcelona, Spain, that in itself is something I will remember for the rest of my life. But being away from my family and friends in the US you really realize how much you love them. You take so many things for granted, until they are gone, only then do you realize how much they really mean to you. So June 28th!!! Can't wait!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment