Saturday, May 22, 2010

Day before Hogs...

All roads in Bergamo apparently lead to the Reggio Hogs. For myself, it is a one game season here in Italia, win and we go to the playoffs, lose and I go home. There is no grey area, no if's, ands, or buts about what is at stake. It is simple, cut and dry, put it how ever you want it. We need to win. Hogs represent one of the strongest running games in all of Italy and probably Europe. Their is no secret to why I was brought to Bergamo, it is to stop that run and make big plays when the ball is in my hands. Allegedly, the Hogs have a great RB, well I have faced running backs of the likes of Kevin Smith, Detroit Lions, Jerome Harrison, Cleveland Browns, and so many others that have graced the Sunday playing fields. So this task is nothing new to me. So its hours away, its in the air, its football baby! So lets do it!

First Impressions of Italy
Being in Bergamo it is my first experience in Italia all together, and let me tell you it has been a good one. The city itself is filled with history and culture. It is a beautiful site to see. All of Italia in my eyes is just beautiful. But how is your new team? From Day 1, the guys here in Bergamo have been very welcoming and open hearted individuals. Everything that Stefano and the Lions management spoke of leading up to my arrival exceeded my expectations of Bergamo. The Lions run a first class organization, from team dinners to BBQ's, they promote a great sense of team amongst the guys here on the team. And I love it!

The coaches here are great! What do you expect of former NFL players who just love the game! Just being around theses coaches sparked something in me again to really want to just take my game to another-level again. Being in Europe was a test for me after coming off what I went through at Nevada with my injury, depression, and anorexia. Being able to get my confidence back this year and still have that inner fire to continue playing makes me wonder where I am going to go next!

Otra Importos
I know I typically give a breakdown of my American comrades on my blogs so here is a quick excerpt on the red, white, and blue boys. At QB, former Denver Bronco, but you may remember him for spiking balls on DBs heads at Colorado State, yeah that wild man, Bradlee Van Pelt. The second, my down south play maker, Bradley Robinson, who also plays in the CFL with Edmonton, and former Middle Tennessee St play making machine. So there they are, quick intros, I have only been here for two weeks now, but these guys are great, open-minded, humble, and just great to be around. So they have definitely assisted in making this transition to Italia a easy one no doubt.

Talk about Down South
Okay... so I mentioned that Robinson is from the south. You know what that mean? No? It means the man can get down not only on the gridiron but also in that kitchen. I am dead serious! I am talking from fried chicken, pork chops, home made gravy, to just about damn near anything! This man can cook! And for me, that is great! I know am going to get a little deep right now but hell its my blog, so if you don't want to hear it close the tab. B Rob is the first person since being anorexic a year and a half ago who I have just let cook for me and I eat what ever regardless. It had been almost two years now since anorexia and depression consumed my life, and as they say people in our lives represent chapters and/or changes/progressions we make. B Rob, although he may only have known me for weeks does not realize how much he has helped me in finally over coming my last stages of anorexia. I aint going to go into serious details about it, but I will say this, it feels good again to just be me in all aspects of my life. For the first time in a long time, I feel content with myself again, I feel at peace and home inside. There is an inner happiness that I have found again. You do not understand how much anorexia takes a toll on your mind, but I will tell you this. Being in Bergamo, it seems as if all my final hurdles and obstacles just vanished. Thank you!

Okay, okay, okay, enough with the mushy stuff, lets get down to brass tax as they say in the US. Tomorrow here in Bergamo it is going down. Its a must win, we cannot lose, we cannot fail. Lions have a tradition of success, and it is our duty to uphold that. Winning represents more than just a playoff spot. It represents the opportunity to win an Italian Championship and get a place in the EFL Euro Bowl for next season for the Lions... so lets get it on and pop'n!!!

Over n Out!

0 comments:

Post a Comment